Re: RARA-AVIS: ROBERT MARTIN

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 31 Aug 2004

Lazy me... I found about his pseudo and didn't check for works under that name! I found the one you cite, Jim... plus another both published under his pseudo.

7. 1954 The Pale Door (Delrium tres mince- 1955) 17 1959 Death of a Ladies' Man (Poulet far穭 1960)

So total is now 6 translations in French. You're right, all of them but one (nb 14) were published by PRESSES DE LA CITE in their famous "Un Myst貥" collection. This collection of mainly HB and noir titles was made of a majority of translations from American and some English novels, but they included also, rather early, quite a fair number of French authors They were the direct competitors of SERIE NOIRE, published by Gallimard in France. Un Myst貥 was founded in 1949 and carried front covers coming from the American paperbacks of that time or mimicking their style of drawings. They stopped the series during the mid seventies.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

jim :