Re: RARA-AVIS: Introduction

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 23 Aug 2004

At 09:30 PM 21/08/2004 -0400, Patricia wrote:
>Well I guess this is a good time for me to jump in and say Maddy is
>certainly pretty well spot on. I would much prefer to not read a cosy
>unless I happen to be on the beach.

All of which begs the question of what you consider to be noir, of course. If it is just the atmospherics, then we all know many women enjoy being frightened on the roller coaster if it affords an opportunity to jump into the arms of a big, strong, usually male, hero. But are they engaged by the ultimate frustration of such romantic aspirations as depicted in real noir novels?

Or could it be a combination of things, similar to the way so many post-war B movies were noir because they were both effective at thrilling mass audiences and relatively cheap to make?

Best Kerry

PS: I just realized how much stuff there is to erase at the bottom when replying to a Yahoo list message. It's not hard, but there's more of it than there is RA.

Also, the switch to Yahoo prompted me to review Bill's Rules of Conduct and I declare them unsuitable for this list. If I wait to make considered, informed and less emotional responses, someone else at RA almost always makes my point first, and better.

Damn you all!

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com