RARA-AVIS: Re: Sipila

From: Tapani Bagge ( tapani.bagge@aina.fi)
Date: 23 Aug 2004

Finally I get to report this: Jarkko Sipila's ffifth crime novel (he has also published one hard-hitting collection of short stories) Todenn䫶isin syin (Propable Cause, 2004), is just as good and tough a police procedural as the three earlies ones in this series. The book starts with a bang when a police surveillance van is stolen from a parking lot - with a female cop in it. She collars the perplexed perps and their fence, and then we move on with the main story that concerns an Arab boy killed on the street. Sipila's main character, inspector Takamaki of the violence division of Helsinki police is a bit colorless, but he has a good team of investigators. My main delight in this series is the right hand of Takamaki, an unorthodox undercover cop called Suhonen, who walks the thin line between law and crime and sometimes strays a bit to the dark side. But always for the good cause, of course.

Sipila is crime reporter on a commercial tv channel here and he really knows what he writes. He also has a good sense of irony in the way of the tv series Law and Order. Alas, no translations yet. But one can hope.

Tapani Bagge

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM