Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's "Noir Feel" for LA (was Denise Hamilton)

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 17 May 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "JIM DOHERTY" < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com>
> Doing evil means making a choice that one knows is
> wrong. Being evil means habitually and continually
> making such choices.

Jim, as if it wasn't upsetting enough to discover that most of my favourite noir novels aren't noir, you now tell me that every time I eat too much I'm being evil. Lucky you've never seen what's in my pickling jars.

BTW, when you compiled your list of novels from which you extrapolated the twin epithets that define noir, did you deliberately choose to ignore those novels which weren't sinister, or was that just an accident?

Al