RARA-AVIS: Chandler among the Immortals: Taboada

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2004

From: Mario Taboada
 Re: RARA-AVIS: The Case of the Overrated Mystery Novel

Mark DJ:
<<As a matter of fact, was he considered such before Macdonald was annointed? Wasn't it in retrospect?>>

I don't think so. In fact, I remember reading that Faulkner considered and treated Chandler as an equal. Macdonald was anointed by Leonard, but before that, critics saw him as a less exciting Chandler with more psychological depth, which is about right, I think.

Some of the crap in the article reminds me of Edmund Wilson's wrongheaded assessments of the crime genre. Wilson was a great critic, but here he shows a dead ear rather than a keen intellect.

--Haven't had time to look at the SALON piece yet, but wonder about that Faulkner-Chandler affability (and Wilson definitely had more than a few blind spots to go with his bad ear). Perhaps it came after Faulkner's famous bad behavior at losing an EQMM prize to Manly Wade Wellman (when the money offered was very much needed by WF), or perhaps Faulkner the deep-Southerner could tolerate an Anglo-American better than a transplanted Appalachian. Or maybe he was simply less a jerk when less desperate, as I suppose most of us are. TM

TM