Re: RARA-AVIS: More HB/Noir SF (cont)

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 30 Nov 2003

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> Sent: Nov 30, 2003 8:52 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: More HB/Noir SF (cont) George R.R. Martin's entered into the mega-series battle with Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind with a fairly hardboiled/noir theme. The third in his series went mass market paperback a few months ago. STORM OF SWORDS or something like that. I read thousands of pages of Robert Jordan, and even a couple books beyond where I enjoyed it. I believe I was under some fantastical notion that the series must be nearing an end and it was worth seeing it through. Terry Goodkind's WIZARD'S FIRST RULE was a lot of fun, but a couple later I dropped him. I've read two of Martin's entries and I've sat at the bookstore reading into the third one. I'll pick it up soon. Martin definitely has a more hardboiled and noir atmosphere than Jordan and Goodkind.

Miker,

I remember enjoying Martin's novella, SANDKINGS, a great deal 20 some years ago. If you haven't read that one yet, check it out. I recall it feeling like a very nasty HB/noir written sometime in the distant future.

TL