Re: RARA-AVIS: 1970s reading

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 05 Mar 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Denton" < buff@pobox.com>

> What do you recommend for 1970s reading?

Leaving out those authors you've already mentioned, Bill, leaves me with the following:

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE: George V Higgins 1970 GET CARTER: Ted Lewis 1970 THE FOOLS IN TOWN ARE ON OUR SIDE: Ross Thomas 1970 NOBODY KNEW THEY WERE THERE: Evan Hunter 1971 DEATH WISH: Brian Garfield 1972 CATERPILLAR COP: James McClure 1972 LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE DEAF MAN: Ed McBain 1973 DEAD CITY: Shane Stevens 1973 52 PICK-UP: Elmore Leonard 1974 THE STALKER: Bill Pronzini 1974 THE CHOIRBOYS: Joseph Wambaugh 1975 GUNS: Ed McBain 1976 CUTTER AND BONE: Newton Thornburg 1976 UNKNOWN MAN NO.89: Elmore Leonard 1977 LAIDLAW: William McIlvanney 1977 FALLING ANGEL: William Hjortsberg 1978 THE SWITCH: Elmore Leonard1978

I heartily recommend all the above, but if you're going to choose only one, let it be THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE. One of the greatest crime novels ever.

Al