Re: RARA-AVIS: ejected shells

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Dec 2002

Mark,

Re your question below:

> Is Vachss wrong?
> My brother? Are nines different? Can someone with
> hands on experience
> clear this up?

Others have answered this pretty adequately already, but I'll add one anecdote which indirectly relates to your question.

The last time I went through a refresher course at FLETC, one of the firearms instructors mentioned that he was finding a modified "gangbanger" grip fairly natural. He didn't hold it exactly parallel to the ground like the 'bangers, but neither did he hold it at a right angle to the ground as is more common. He held it at a roughly a 45 degree angle from the ground, which was, he said, the angle his grip naturally took, unless he exerted other arm muscles to either turn it parallel to the ground or at a right angle to the ground.

Wel, I tried it, and, while I didn't get a flying round in my eye, neither could I make myself feel comforatble with it after so many years the other way. Further, it makes a two-handed grip very awkward, and it's useless at any distance beyond ten yards, because you can't get a sight picture.

But it apparently worked for him.

JIM DOHERTY