RARA-AVIS: Deep End/Blank Wall

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 26 Aug 2001

I just saw Deep End, the new movie by the pair who made Suture. It's a nice noir with some unusual aspects. Instead of a man trying to save either himself or a woman (deserving or not), this noir has a mother straining to protect her family. It's a nice switch and plays out well. Tilda Swinton is great in the lead role.

When I got home, I looked it up on imdb to get the information on the book on which it is based. It turns out that The Blank Wall by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding is an older book. It was even made into an earlier film, by Max Ophuls from 1949.

So I was wondering if anyone knows this book. Is it good? Is it noir?

Also, how is the film, The Blank Wall, by Max Ophuls?

Mark