RARA-AVIS: RE: motherless brooklyn

From: Chris Bahn ( Chris_Bahn@citysearch.com)
Date: 22 Mar 2001

Naomi wrote:
> After reading it, I gave free play to my imagination and enjoyed feeling
of a
> dinosaur's member. It was fun.

There's a humorous rejoinder here, somewhere...

Kevin wrote:
> Leaving quality aside, for a moment, I think you do MOTHERLESS
> BROOKLYN a disservice to lump it in with the other books.

I liked the book a lot, and I meant Lethem no disrespect either by lumping him in with the other books or by my misremembering the title as "Anonymous Brooklyn." I just meant that the detective-with-Tourette's thing, no matter how well Lethem handles it (and he does so very well), could be seen as another addition to the subgenre of what I like to think of as "Chandler Bizarre" - not an SF/PI mix, but twisting the PI genre in bizarre ways, in line with the deconstruction/irony type of writing that is the stock in trade of many Generation X novelists, Lethem included. It's not a science-fiction thing per se, but the kind of speculation involved there lends itself well to this subgenre and so a lot of the books I'd throw together in this particular corral can be found on the racks of your local Android's Dungeon store. (And if I'm totally off-base, I did qualify my original statement by saying "if you want to think of it that way.")