Re: RARA-AVIS: Private Eyes. What else?

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 02 Mar 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Mark Sullivan wrote:

> This sounds more like a matter of taste than a critical stance, just as
> I stated my taste runs more towards PI novels.

Yes, I realize that, but as I write this at the office (an excuse again), I don't have the time to write as eloquently as would be required.

> I think you may have taken my use of the word "reassuring" wrong. I
> don't require or even want a story that is reassuring. It is the genre
> itself I find reassuring.

And can the genre and the story be separated in that way? The genre is manifested in the works.

> Finally, this break you talk about happened quite some time ago. Have
> others followed in their wake and continued the revolution? If so, who?

I really don't know and would like to find out. My last years with the HB literature have meant dwelling in the old books and know almost next to nothing about newer authors. (As has been pointed out recently.)

> I'd
> like to add some good recent authors in this vein to the few I already
> know and like, such as Russell James, Ken Bruen, Nicholas Blincoe,
> Jeremy Hawes and Scott Phillips, along with the others I mentioned in my
> last post.

I have one Ken Bruen in my shelves and now that you mention him, I'll try to read it.

Juri