RARA-AVIS: Re: Shell Scott

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 12 Jun 2000

Mario wrote:

>The fact that the Shell Scotts are endlessly
>rereadable is a big hint that there's something very good below the
>"trash" and
>the unfashionable attitudes that irk the PC crowd.

I dunno. By the standards of this list, I'm probably pretty PC
(Whatever that means this week. I mean, I'm for gun control and public health care, against racial and ethnic slurs, for equal rights, suspicious of big money, stuff like that), but I love the Shell Scott books. And I don't find his stuff offensive. Far-fetched, maybe; living in a male-hormone-induced fantasy world. Fer shur. But offensive? Nah.

Dated? Yes, certainly. But anyone can see it's all in fun. Even back then, surely, people knew Shell was a buffoon.

And yeah, I do think the books are a little trashy, but that's surely what Prather intended. It's a good part of their charm.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

An A&E Mystery.com Site of the Week, but don't let that discourage you.