RARA-AVIS: What Hard-Boiled Is

From: Sharon Villines ( sharonvillines@prodigy.net)
Date: 20 Apr 2000

> I'm partial to hard-boiled as a style and noir as a setting ...
>
>>> Simply put I believe "Hardboiled" refers to the written word
>>> while "Noir" refers to films.

I think it is true that Noir is generally used for film and hardboiled for fiction but I think it goes further than that. Noir carries with it a sophistication that hardboiled rejects--or pretends to rejects.

Or that sophistication may be added to our reading of hardboiled literature after we have seen the films. Would Laura read the same way if one had not seen the film first?

Sharon

--
Sharon Villines, Editor
MacGuffin Guide to Detective Fiction