RARA-AVIS: Willeford with Spoiler--Pick-Up

Mbdlevin@aol.com
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:56:57 EDT

Pick-Up is quite a strong book in my opinion--dark, brooding, etc. At first, I was a little disappointed in the twist ending. But rereading the book, I found I liked it just as much and had an interesting second reading knowing about the twist at the end. As has been noted already, Willeford drops plenty of hints about race. In Don Herron's bio/appreciation, he reports that Willeford got some favorable correspondence from black readers who were pleased to have been in the know all along, recognizing the treatment of race from the outset.

Doug