Re: RARA-AVIS: Latimer and Ted Lewis, Again

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:55:20 -0400 (EDT)

As for dark, but humorous hardboiled, GM Ford's books immediately come to mind. His detective Leo Waterman employs "The Boys" as his Baker Street Irregulars. The Boys are a bunch of barely off the street drunks who knew Waterman's father, a Seattle politician. No one notices the homeless, so they make perfect undercover agents. There is a dark sentiment underlying the series, but the actual antics of the Boys are often hilarious. And they will take pity from no one.

GBH, Lewis's last book, came some time after Get Carter, his second. I'm not sure where Rabbit fits in, but here is the chronology (the dates may be a bit off; I think some are UK pub, some US) on the rest of the Ted Lewis books:

1965 -- All The Way Home And All Through the Night 1970 -- Jack's Return Home (Get Carter) 1971 -- Plender 1973 -- Billy Rags 1974 -- Jack Carter's Law 1976 -- Boldt 1977 -- Jack Carter and the Mafia Pigeon 1980 -- Grievous Bodily Harm

And, as I said, Rabbit fits somewhere in there.

Mark