RARA-AVIS: French Noir - J-C Izzo

Philip Benz (Philip.Benz@wanadoo.fr)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:23:11 +0200

I've just been reading this fabulously noir novel set in Marseille: Jean-Claude Izzo, _Total Kheops_ (1995). It's a great tale of an ex-voyou turned cop, out to take revenge for his murdered pal, murdered girl... well, a lot of folks take a lead bath in this one. It's set deep in the ghettos and "milieu" marseillais, reminds me a lot James Ellroy.

I was just curious if Izzo has made it to the US market, or indeed if
*any* French noir writers have been delivered up in translation to the US market. Izzo would be a natural: if it ain't been done, this novel is
*aching* for a wider readership.

Izzo has at least 5 other novels out, all in the last 7-8 years max.

Cheers, --- Phil Lyc饠Astier, Aubenas, France