[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Return to Slang Discussion

<< Looking through the RARA-AVIS archives, I followed a thread about
 hardboiled slang. To return briefly to that topic, I recommend an essay
 by S.J. Perelman, "Somewhere a Roscoe...", an essay that originally ran,
 I think, in the New Yorker. It's a wonderful and funny piece about
 tough-guy and pulp slang and the joys of reading Dan Turner, Hollywood
 Detective stories. Perelman was a funny, funny guy who wrote for the
 Marx Brothers. The easiest place to locate this essay is an anthology
 titled "The Most of S.J. Perelman."

Perhaps even more to the satirical point is Perelman's early 40s satirical
short short "Farewell, My Lovely Appetizer."  It's found in some anthologies,
e.g., _The Defective Detective_, ed. Steve Carper, Citadel Press, 1992.
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]